Thursday, May 1, 2008

Luxury vs. Necessity

I've noticed, since becoming a mother, that there are a number of things that used to be a luxury to me, though at the time I was oblivious to the fact. Now these things are necessities I try to squeeze into my day. One of these "things" that have changed is taking a shower. Let me exhibit the difference between my pre-mother showering experience to the post-mother experience:

PRE-MOTHERHOOD

Usually I would shower first thing in the morning, and was able to take my time for the most part. My bathroom cabinets and shower had several choices when it came to grooming myself. There were several options of shampoos and conditioners, body lotions and creams, facial soaps and moisturizers, hair products, and a large bag full of make-up. All of these items were carefully organized in by bathroom cabinets, and shower. I always spent time styling my hair, and didn't leave the house until it was just the way I wanted it. I never thought I took all that long to get ready, but looking back I'm surprised at what lengths I went through to complete my look for a day. It was a real luxury!

POST-MOMMYHOOD

I squeeze my shower in whenever I can. I try to keep the shower curtain closed, but Tralee feels the need to rip it open and grin up at me. Since I don't want her or the floor getting wet, I push the shower head towards the wall, and make do with whatever droplets still fall in my direction. I don't have options anymore when it comes to shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and face scrubs. I just use the one or two products I have available. During my shower Tralee finds objects around the bathroom and bedroom to throw in. A shoe, a block, a book, my toothbrush, whatever she can get her hands on. I wonder if she thinks she's helping me, or just looking for a reaction. Sometimes instead of throwing items in with me, she'll attempt to make a splash in the toilet. She's never gotten away with this (yet), as I quickly veto her idea when I see her open the toilet seat. When I do blow dry my hair (50% of the time) I only do it half-way. Tralee's afraid of the blow-dryer and is in near hysterics at the half-way point. Sometimes I do my make-up with the few items I have left. I'll be honest, I'm lucky if I put on mascara and lip gloss. I can get ready for the day in ten minutes or less now.

There are other areas in my life that used to be luxurious that are now just done out of necessity, but the showering one stands out the most to me.

While I was in the shower today, I was thinking how nice it would be to pamper myself and splurge on some nice lotions and bath soaps. How convenient that Mother's Day is coming up! I wouldn't mind a Saturday where Jim takes Tralee for part of the day, lets me sleep in, then shower for as long as I want without being interrupted by things getting thrown in on me. I would also love to get a pedicure, or something of the sort. Just a little pampering, and just for a day.

Maybe, just maybe because Mother's Day is coming up, and maybe because Mother's Day just happens to be our Wedding Anniversary also, Jim will see to it that I can take a day to feel luxurious. It really wouldn't take much at this point. :)

5 comments:

Boom said...

I do remember that suitcase you used to have for your makeup!

Jim said...

Do you expect me to feel sorry for you?

Let me know?

dad

amy said...

i can empathize completely. there are days where i make up for lost shower time by staying in there 1/2 hour just because i can now...though, most days i still am interrupted (often cuz Brady decides it's time to poo and i'm the lucky wiper!!).

Necha said...

That is so funny! That REALLY is how it is! This morning Josh asked me if I was going to wear these PJ's again today-because I left them on yesterday and havn't changed since. LOL. Oh well.

Hannah S said...

Your parents are hilarious. Somedays I just let Jocelyn shower w/me so she doesn't shriek outside my door or get into trouble elsewhere. I can't do that w/Samuel anymore. I totally understand about the luxuries of pampering. That's a great mother's day idea! I'll have to suggest that to Tyler...plus it's free!