Friday, November 6, 2009

A Wish

A few months ago Jim took Tralee out on the deck at night, pointed to the first star they saw, and started repeating the nursery rhyme:

"Star light, Star bright,
The first star I see tonight
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight."

When Jim finished the poem he told Tralee to make a wish. We've repeated this poem a few times sense, and always end it by telling Tralee to make a wish.

Flash forward to today.

Jim was going over shapes with Tralee before he went to work. My mom sent a Halloween care package, and in it she sent colorful lamented shapes she made. First Jim held up a circle and asked, "What's this?" Tralee answered, "Circle." The next shape was an octagon to which Tralee said, "Ah-ah-gone." We made our way through square, heart, and rectangle. The next shape up was a star. Jim asked, "What's this?" Tralee paused and thought for a minute. Finally she remembered and answered,

"A wish!"

So, just so you know, in our house, stars are now called wishes. :)