Monday, January 11, 2010

Road Trip Story

I just remembered a funny story about Tralee that I forgot to write about.

On our way home from Canada about a month ago, we stopped to fill up with gas. It was getting late, the roads were slick, and we were a few hours away from the hotel we were going to stay at for the night. Jim went inside to pay, and also hook us up with some beverages. We usually get Tralee chocolate milk on road trips. Jim came out with the bag of drinks, and filled Tralee's sippy-cup with the chocolate milk he purchased. Jim also let me know he got a few of them since our hotel had a fridge and Tralee would probably want a drink the next morning. We continued on our journey, Tralee drank her chocolate milk, and all was calm. After another hour or so I was surprised Tralee hadn't drifted off to sleep. In fact, she was continuously kicking the back of my seat. "Oh well" I thought, that just means she'll sleep even better once we get to the hotel. Right around this time, I also thought a chug of chocolate milk might do the body good. I dug around in the bag of drinks until I found the chocolate milk Jim has already opened for Tralee. It was dark, and I didn't want to bother with the lights, so I took the lid off and took a sip. I immediately knew something wasn't right.

"THIS ISN'T CHOCOLATE MILK JIM" I shouted. "IT'S COFFEE!!!" Jim didn't believe me until I turned on the lights and showed him the label that said "Mocha" on it. Yup, we gave our two-year-old daughter a sippy cup full of coffee right before bedtime! We also had two other bottles of it. In Jim's defense it DID look like chocolate milk. I'm also sure with how late it was, and how bad the roads were he was driving on, he didn't pay special attention to the label. It looked like chocolate milk, so he grabbed it.

Needless to say, Tralee was up until about 1am. So much for a good nights sleep.

7 comments:

Jim said...

I can't believe what you guys did to my Grandaughter. Why not one of those 24 oz energy drinks???

dad

Hannah S said...

OMG!!!!! That's hilarious!! I've never even tasted coffee before. I can't believe she didn't complain. That's a story that will be in the family for a while.
I love the observation of the ear touching. It's fun to notice those things about our kids.

Audie said...

Haha!!! I'm sure he'll double check whenever he buys chocolate milk from now on!

James and Shawna said...

OH!! That cracked me up! Great story!

Meagan said...

That is hilarious. I bet you felt awesome. Oh well, she won't have any lasting effects from it. Thanks for sharing the story!

Joni said...

Oh man that is funny. Silly Jim. :)

Cammi said...

seriously hilarious!