Thursday, March 25, 2010

Daily Fight

Almost everyday Jim and I have the same disagreement. The source of our feud? Hunter's hair. Jim proclaims that Hunter has an "ear mullet" and wants to trim the sides of Hunter's hair that hang over his ears. I don't want to touch our son's locks until he's (at least) a year. I told Jim that I get Hunter's hair until he's a year, then he can do whatever he wants with it. I know it sounds stupid, but I feel like cutting my baby's hair, even if it's just to trim the sides, is like letting go of part of his baby-ness. I mean, the stuff we would clip off is the hair he had when he was born, and I'm not ready to part with it yet.

If I had my way, I probably wouldn't cut Hunter's hair for quite a long time. I didn't cut Tralee's until she was almost three. Even then I felt pangs of remorse, but knew it was time for her to have a trim. Anyways, Jim tells me it's different with boys, and we need to cut Hunter's hair sooner rather than later. We've agreed (both of us reluctantly) that Hunter's first cut will be on his first birthday. Daddy will be the barber, and Mommy will be snapping pictures and stifling her tears.

Am I just being ridiculous, or is the first haircut not as significant as I'm making it out to be?

8 comments:

Necha said...

Well, since I have seen Hunter in recent times, and I have seen his "ear mullet" -as Jim calls it, I think I have a valid opinion. Don't cut it! It's cute! It's not even very long. I agree, let him be a baby until he is 1, and then you can let Jim make him into a little man. :)

The Kelly Variety said...

You probably don't want my opinion so I won't say that I agree with Jim! (Not that I think your son looks ear mullety or anything.) Luckily for me it takes three years before my kid has one hair on their head to even worry about.

Audie said...

I feel the same way you do! You cut the hair and then you're sending them off to college! Who cares if he has an ear mullet. I think it's adorable. I'm the cosmetologist. I have the final say! Haha. Screw the clean cut look. At least for now!

Amberly said...

Beckham had the greatest mullet for a very long time- I was hesitant to cut it but he looked so freaking adorable afterwards! It does change them a little, but it also reveals cute new things- beckham's cheeks appeared even bigger after the cut! how long until hunter is one??

Leslie said...

Hunter will be one in two short months!

Jim said...

Of course I realize that my weighing in on this subject means nothing, however, I want to state clearly that I have no opinion. I will though when he gets older. Girlie men and older boys not allowed!!

dad

Boom said...

I think you need to post a new picture or two before I give my opinion. His face is so cute that I forget to check out the hair!

Love Mom

Mary Ann Carlile said...

I agree Leslie! Hold on to it for as long as you can! That is, until people start telling you how cute "she" is...!